Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Food: Old Rasputin


Nothing warms the heart like a good stout, and no stout is quite as...well...stout-y as Russian Imperial Stout. I was lured into stouts by the worldwide standard-bearer, Guinness, but even a trip to the local ABC Liquor store was enough to unearth a fairly good RIS that beats the pants off the mass-produced Guinness Extra Stout.

Old Rasputin, a product of CA-based North Coast Brewing Company, is fairly reminiscent of Guinness Extra Stout. It's got more alcohol, as to be expected (roughly 9% ABV), and the coffee/espresso undertones that many stout drinkers prefer are here in spades. Still, by RIS standards, it's not really a heavy-hitter, so Old Rasputin is quite capable of being enjoyed every day (I can only take one bottle before I feel drunk).

The price is fair, IMHO, so give Old Rasputin a whirl next time you're in the mood for a nice middle-of-the-road RIS.

3 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, Blogger NotClauswitz said...

I'm gonna have to see if they have that at Beverages and More! :-) We have a pretty good brew-pub around the corner from me where me and my dirtbike buddies often meet, they do a nice Oatmeal Stout.

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger theirritablearchitect said...

I'm putting this on my list of commercial beers to try. I'm a stout drinker, got the taste of it in college where we had, still have, an excellent local brewery.

Thanks for the recommendation.

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger NotClauswitz said...

Yum! Bev-Mo had it and yum is the word!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home